Monday, June 7, 2021

Edward's Research Blogs

I am still busy extracting all the information from Edward's Research Blogs. He actually had two Research Blogs and managed a third one for the Ottawa Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society. I will also extract that one after I finish his two blogs. I can then give that to them as an *.pdf and pass on the ownership. Some of the blogs were by Edward and so I want to retain them and having the entire set in context may be meaningful to his blogging. I suddenly remembered his Blogs the other day and was thankful they were still accessible.

It does take a while. I can backup the blog but it is purely text and the images have to be downloaded separately and then the entire file put back together and I suspect it is easier to do it the way that I am doing it even with nearly 1000 posts in all three blogs. I am into the third year now of Researching my American and Canadian Ancestors. When completed I will put an *.pdf of the files up on his website of his two research blogs. I have captured the Key words so will be searchable on surnames quite readily.

There is really so much to do. I have not yet responded to all the lovely notes and cards but I will do that after we hold our Memorial Service in the summer. I have not yet sent any notes to the various groups that he belonged to and I do need to do some of them as they publish newsletters with obituaries. I will likely be late with all of that. Doing it is a challenge for me because I still do not want to face the fact that he has passed although as each day moves into the next I am coming to that but it will still take me a long time. 

Ed spent a long time looking at the origins of his Kipp family. He poured over many many documents and had a number of them translated. We viewed many many documents in the various New York Archives which were most helpful. Our plans to go to Holland never really moved past the thinking stage as we do not speak Dutch. He was in contact with a couple of genealogists who did do translation for him and thoughts were in the process of going to Amsterdam and having them help with the documentation. His waning health and COVID-19 did get in the way of all of that. 

But he also had a strong interest in his other families (he was about 30% Dutch, 30% German, 20% French and the other 20% from other parts of Europe and the British Isles). It was a surprise to learn a great deal of his ancestry. Visiting Ile de Re in France was a desire he had for a number of years and in 2014 we were able to do that. His Huguenot lines had all lived in that area before they fled to England and from there to the American Colonies. 

The rewards in life can be most interesting and his seventeen years of retirement were a time of great discoveries, wonderful traveling and possibly the greatest was wonderful family times.


No comments: