Tuesday, July 28, 2026

David becomes King of Israel

 Second Samuel continues the historical dialogue of the people of Israel and David is now King of Israel anointed by God Himself at Samuel's hand when David was a child. The battles were described in great detail between the people of Israel and the Philistines as well as the battles within Israel and Judah but it is the historical context that we gain in the reading. David talks to God and Israel flourishes because David is King. You can see why the Torah has been separated out of the Old Testament and named as such. It is the law that God passed to the people of Israel and which they had to maintain at all times in order for Him to live amongst them. 

More matches to work on and they continue to be primarily Rawlings and Buller for the moment. A couple of excellent Buller matches which will be useful. I continue with that pursuit in my free time today.  Yesterday also revealed an excellent Blake match with a long colonial history in the United States but still I caution myself because this length is likely common to the British Isles although I do not see it very much in the other three matches; the Blake definitely predominates but could also be Knight so again caution in my thinking. Still looking for the applecart!

Yesterday was a busy day as we were off to spend time with family and it was lovely; we had a great time. I am not that much into going out and about but visits with family are always a wondrous event. It rained and that slowed down the outside events but we continued inside chatting away. I brought my slide rule that  my father gave to me when he knew I was going to University to study Chemistry and the only thing he asked of me was that I teach him how to use it which I did. He could have taught himself but he wanted me to teach him. It has a lovely leather case and I wanted to give it to my son in law and my grandsons can enjoy this beautiful somewhat archaic item and know its history. 

Cleaning was put off for a day and today I will clean the top floor and I will begin soon. Heavy rain today and I hope it is raining in the north as well to dampen down those forest fires. Unfortunately the storm came with lightning so always the danger of new fires but we are moving faster and faster towards the fall and then the winter and the snow will dampen them down if they are not already out as fall here tends to be the rainy season. 

The unknown box was unpacked yesterday and it is all the backups that Edward made since the 1990s. They range from CDs to DVDs to small drives all the way up to 4 Terabytes. I have his last drive on my spare computer which I use to keep most of my files on although my new computer is getting to have quite a few files as well. I also have his last backup which I check every month or so just to keep it active. Although we have published under his name most of the material that he has on his blog and on the website which my eldest will maintain when she retires. 

I have this goal in my mind to keep everything going until she does retire and so that runs my life most of the time and is my only thought. Other than of course my writing which occupies the remainder of my time. At 81 I can sometimes get restless worrying about lasting that long but time will tell in that regard. 

Garbage day today and everything except the actual garbage has been picked up. This new company doing the pickup is very efficient and often has everything gone by 10 a.m. Today was the metal/plastic recycling and every pick up day does recycled food. 

Solitaire puzzles to do.  

No comments: