Again the historical recitation of the times in Israel continue to the end of 2 Samuel. God is still with David although it has cost David his beloved son Absalom who rose against his father. The historical recitation moves us closer in thought to the people of Israel in a way I think. No other people have their history recorded in such detail although that time is approaching. The Bible is the gift of these early peoples of Israel to the world although over time it was maintained by the scholars of the new Christian Church to be. But a lot of archaeological work has been done by Israel revealing the existing history still can be seen as noted in these early writings. Moving on to 1 Kings tomorrow. David is still King of Israel and Judah. Still no mention of the Messiah to come in these early books. I tend to read word for word and do not try to extract ideas but I am not a religious historian simply a reader.
Yesterday very busy as we did the shopping which included a trip to Salvation Army with items that we no longer use and that I am finally letting go of these pieces of my life. Being 81 it is easier to let these pieces go from my life to be helpful to others. But I still cling pretty tightly to what is here and probably will but it is a gradual process downsizing. The next house will be smaller and so I must continue looking and thinking what could be reduced. My first introduction to Salvation Army was as a child going to deliver knitted goods for parcels going to the First Nations in the north when I was a child. The work was done by my grandmother. My uncle was also a supporter of Salvation Army and we received a lovely note from one of the people that he knew well when he passed away at the age of 89. He was very fit right up until he passed away after a short illness in the hospital. He was one of my favourite people, my uncle, and was about six feet two inches tall I think. The Pincombe men were very tall some of them including my grandfather and great grandfather (my uncle's grandfather) and his father as well one can see in the pictures that he too was tall. My brothers inherited that tallness (most of them, all but one who was the same height as I am).
I also worked on the matches and have reached page five by percentage (now into the 0.39% shared and mostly above 25 cM in length) but still acquiring new matches for my table. I had not expected to be able to acquire these matches but good luck with that particular testing company has permitted that to happen. It is possibly my favourite company although I like them all as they provide me with a range of information that will be helpful as I create these genealogical tables (mind you I also include known adoptions into the family as they become one of us I think but I do understand when they decide to search out their own birth line but I want them to always feel they have become part of this blood line that I am slowly extracting from the data).
Today I want to cut the back lawn before it rains again. We have been lucky with the rain and it has helped to dampen down the forest fires. The biggest problem is that the smoke moves from west to east aided by the Jet Current across the middle of the continent and is fed by the wild fires on the west coast as it swings across the country picking up from the less active fires in the middle of the continent. But we have been very lucky in Ontario to have so much rain this July as it is generally a dry month.
Our economy has grown slowly and it will improve over the next couple of years as we expand our trade around the world. But internally we need to get back to building small motor appliances as they are all pretty much purchased from the United States and mostly made in China (our smaller industries got bought out by larger American industries during free trade and we need to redevelop them under the present conditions especially since the American companies took their production to Asia eliminating American jobs). I am still hoping that our young people will get into building such items (and I still need that vacuum cleaner as the ShopVac is extremely noisy). The trades are the way of the future. Sitting at a desk eight hours a day is not healthy. Working with ones hands perfecting old ideas to bring forth new and modern equipment is a great usage of one's mind and talents. When one removes the energy that we sell to the United States from our cross border trade we have many more items coming into Canada from the United States than we sell to them so we must be alert and re-develop those industries and there are lots of ways to improve on them. There is money to be made in such work for sure - the trades are definitely the place to look carefully at as you go through school. Mine you I do not see a problem with getting both a university degree and a certification in a trade to be honest. Life changes and one needs to be flexible. Cost wise though it may not be practical although my father first did his training to be a banker and then apprenticed to be an electrician. But he was an only child and he lived at home until he was thirty three years of age and after marrying my mother he still had seven children.
Nearly time to do my three kilometer run and then I shall cut the grass likely late this afternoon. The fresh air is pleasant and there is a slight breeze in the trees that always reminds me that God is with us as He moves around the earth watching and waiting for us to do the right thing. Peace in our time and so easily attained if we but love our neighbour as ourself. Thank you to God for another beautiful day on His planet.
Solitaire puzzles to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment