Wednesday, November 17, 2021

A most interesting day yesterday

Yesterday proved to be a fascinating day. After working on the transcription of Robert Siderfin's will from 1627 I moved back to Chromosome 17. I reworked it from basic and the result was somewhat the same but a couple of interesting differences in the one individual who did not test at 23 and Me. I had missed a possible cross over point that was actually shared with one other that solved the conundrum with some of the results. 

So I then got into the 64 matches that we have on that chromosome. It has quite a long length of Pincombe for some and quickly it emerged that one section had been inherited from my grandfather Pincombe from his mother likely and was possibly all Routledge going back to my 3x great grandparents. The matches are all deep in the past for sure. The Routledge name never occurred in anyone's list because the matches are either from Scotland (living there still) or from the United States mostly the Virginia/Carolina colonies where there was a large migration from County Antrim in 1772 which included a number of Scot families that had been planters sent to Northern Ireland during the Cromwell period. There was a clear difference between the first set of Pincombe results and the second set which are side by side and would have come from my Pincombe line again going back to my 3x great grandfather Robert Pincombe or his wife Elizabeth Rowcliffe. A real lesson in crossover points and how DNA moves through a family. There was also a third set of Pincombe on this same chromosome uniquely different from the other two. Interestingly one member of the first group lives in Rutledge, Tennessee!

With so many matches, it will take me most of the day to get through Chromosome 17 I expect. Plus my fingers are itching to get on with the Siderfin book. I finally realized that I really needed my daughter's help looking at her Dad's research so will spend my time with her working on that and just have mornings for my research then. That is if she has time at Christmas break. She has a PhD course to teach next term along with one other. She has a number of committees she is on including chairing one of them. Her PhD student is moving into research and writing so will take up more of her time as well. Plus she has her own research to work on. But she has promised not to teach next summer, just do her research, so maybe we can get through some boxes then and write to the people that I need to contact with regard to original material and whether they are interested in having it.

No comments: