Saturday, November 13, 2021

A very busy three days

 That was a very busy three days in Orleans - not three whole days as we arrive in the late afternoon and then head back late afternoon but feels like three days given the amount of work that needs doing! There is still probably another 5 or 6 bags of leaves/stems to rake up and will accomplish that next weekend perhaps time will tell. Our lives are fluid here because my doctor daughter is literally on call in terms of being needed although not on a call schedule this week which is nice. My other daughter has been busy creating and teaching a new course at her University. Her term has been very busy and it will be nice to see her at Christmas time. We spent so much time together the past year and a half during COVID and I could not have looked after her father without her help. They were always very close and watching from afar was so very painful for her. 

This week it is back to the Siderfin book. I did not have time to extract the Wills for the Siderfin family from the fiche but will do that next time. Now that I am into working on this book I would like to put everything into it that I know about the Siderfin family which is basically what James Sanders did in 1912. Perhaps one hundred years from now someone will discover this material. I will give a copy to Family Search to facilitate that as well as the Guild of one name studies and Society of Genealogists. This is a very English family these days but James Sanders hypothesized that this was a family from Italy perhaps. I do have a number of matches in this family so perhaps in time we can get together and see what segments passed from this family and whether ancient ethnicity can answer the question of where this family came from before they appear in England. An exciting prospect for some future researcher for sure. 

I shall also begin to look at the Carling-Beverley-Gray-Hildred-West-Mason family book which also includes my Routledge-Pincombe family coming down from the Gray line. My great grandmother Grace (Gray) Pincombe's first cousin was Sir John Carling (MP Canada and Minister of Agriculture). All that remains of him here in Ottawa is Carling Street named for him. Carling Breweries (his familys business) has long disappeared and part of O-Keefe Breweries. This book is 253 pages long and I had chatted with my cousin George DeKay (the author) about republishing this book which he published in the mid 1970s. He was working on that he mentioned to me although his closer family is probably more aware of that as I no longer live in the London, Ontario area and have not been back there for a few years now due to COVID-19 and my husband's declining health. We were last there in 2018. There is a Reunion though of my high school (South Collegiate now South Secondary High School) in 2023 that I may try to attend. That would mark 60 years since I graduated from South actually. It would be interesting to see some of my fellow classmates from that time period. George and I crossed paths (we are fourth cousins) back in 2003 when he approached me to write a profile for my Pincombe family which I did with assistance from my Pincombe cousins and my siblings. 

The Charley book has certainly inspired me to look at the publications that contain information on my family lines as it is yet another way to formally preserve the material that I have collected. One other major project remains and that is the Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills (and Diocesan Wills) for the Blake family. I have transcribed hundreds of them now and they are divided by County. I need to put them all together (by diocese (but noting county) I will probably do) in an *.pdf and see if Family Search would like those as well along with the Guild and Society of Genealogists. Finding more than one repository is probably a good idea. Copyright considerations may limit some of this material but I will investigate that as I move along. Since I am retyping and reformating the work that may get around copyright issues in particular when I am adding in a lot of new material. 

On to the day and my breakfast!


No comments: