Monday, November 22, 2021

Another Monday morning has arrived with bright sunshine but minus 2 celsius

As a child Monday was always wash day. The clothes line was filled with frozen clothes in the winter. But my mother had a dryer quite early on so that did pass but in the early 50s we were still recovering from the war and industries had to convert from war material production back to peacetime production. Unlike Europe and the British Isles though we were no longer rationed and enjoyed pretty much a regular diet once again. I do not remember the rationing days just heard them talked about as a child. 

Today I work on Chromosome 16; my fingers have been itching all week end to get back to my DNA work. My younger sister does all the extracting of people so no sense in duplicating that work. I did do some and still do whenever I am trying to work with a close match. Once I see that it is the Buller line though or the Rawling line here in Canada or the United States or the Blake line or the Pincombe line then I tend not to follow through on it unless the person writes to me in which case I will try to discover our most common recent ancestor. Sometimes they will tell me if they know but my families have been gone from England now for more than a century (my father and his parents were the last to come in 1913). No one remembers them there although some remember of them which is always interesting. 

Chromosome 16 is now a perfect match with the 23 and Me information and the FT DNA information worked in. I had not so much missed a crossover as misunderstood the implication of introducing the one set in. There were two new crossover points and I had mistakenly placed one of the crossover points in duplicate with another mostly because of the graphic - it is really essential to go back to the numerical values as well when items are close. 

Unlike the last Chromosome (Chromosome 17)  Chromosome 16 has only 50 members in total with seven of them known to me in terms of genealogy. The known portions are primarily Pincombe although this Chromosome has quite low Pincombe input with only three of the five inheriting any Pincombe and two of those quite a small portion. I have a longer length (about half in one length and a second smaller length) and another has about two thirds of the chromosome length as Pincombe. One has none at all and actually has two lengths of chromosome inherited completely from two of the four grandparents. With collapsing pedigrees (on both sides of my family back at the 3rd great grandparent level) this does occur on other chromosomes as well. I could see on the last Chromosome that one of the Pincombe sections (no collapsing pedigree there particularly) was actually inherited from three different sets of grandparents (4x great grandparents, 3x great grandparents and 2x great grandparents). Once I get settled with my phasing of my grandparents then I will start to think about further breakdown of these phasing charts but for the moment I am content with phasing my grandparents.

No comments: