My only real memory that could allude to such a diagnosis stretches back far into the past when I was five years of age and in kindergarten and the school asked that I be tested for my hearing (the teachers apparently thought I could not hear their instructions but the reality was I did not want to play musical chairs, I did not like sitting on the floor and singing but I did love to read and there was in the one corner of that room a whole lot of books so I was slightly disobedient so that I would be put into that corner but they did catch on). My mother and I went to somewhere on the bus (my father ran his own company and I was the fourth child) and I was tested using tuning forks I still remember that. Lovely man that tested my hearing; talked to me for a while and then said to my mother she is very quick to learn but puzzles it all out on her own in her mind. I will let the school know she is a quick learner and her hearing is affected by that and needs more challenges not fun so my mother said. So did that make me Autistic? No idea on that but as I watch my youngest grandchild grow up he reminds me of myself; my speech difficulties and my tendency to run everything that I was doing - to be in control. Certainly many of my teachers appreciated that tendency as they could always count on an answer. In those days there was just one class of each age group pretty much and some split classes; I tended to go into the split being in the lower part like 2/3 and 3/4 and then not going to 4 at all but being promoted to Grade 5 and it continued that way until Grade 8. I was just twelve years of age when I went to High School. My classmates were years older than me it always felt like. I had already decided that I would take bookkeeping and typing in Grade 9 instead of Latin but none the less the Guidance Teachers insisted on talking to me about that from day one nearly but I persisted and stayed in that class. I did not want to wash baby bottles to go to University as my sister had. I wanted a real job that didn't involve that and so it happened and so I went to University where I was also too young. One can be too young and now I am 81 and it is fascinating but do I actually have autism. No ideas on that but I relish my own time although I love being with my children etc. But I can also be alone writing my books. I must let the dogs out; they got upset because a cat came on their porch. They did so well until the cat came on the porch and then they lost it. So they have been penalized just a little by not being able to look out the window. But a good run will make them feel better. The neighbour's cat is tough and can withstand the barking of caged dogs!
In again, my headache is keeping me from doing any real work on my research day but the dogs are interesting always and they will not always be here whereas my research will be. Contemplating when I might move and it will be sooner hopefully but probably three or four years. Too bad really. Imagine living in the same house for 50 years or more and I lived 17 years in my last family home and three years in the one before that which I can only vaguely recall. That means for ten years Edward and I lived in other houses. The last 1.5 years was the house that we bought in London area and it was lovely and I hated leaving it behind because my first child came home to that house. We rented for 7 years before buying the house and then rented here for a couple of years. It was visiting some friends in Orleans from Western University that we saw these Carriage Homes and I loved them. Perfect for life without close family; no real entertainment area but lots of family room. Edward did think about moving a few years later up on the hill but he loved this yard and so we stayed and we are still here but he would hate this yard as I can not keep it up the way that he did.
Good to see that the trade agreement is moving along and plans to sign it on Friday. I am not really keeping up with it. The machinations around trade agreements are many and so many people to keep happy. Liquor back on the shelves does not affect me; I never buy any; I do not drink other than the occasional glass of wine at my children's homes on special days. I do think the Prime Minister is doing an excellent job although I did vote Conservative as I normally do. Minister LeBlanc has been fabulous through all of this; he has never once lost that smile on his face. He is such a perfect pick for this job. I do give ex-Prime Minister Justin Trudeau high marks for buying and then building the pipeline even if I do disagree on all the new charges against the government he created. My own party needs to shape up and get a platform - whining is just boring. Get out there and help the young get jobs what else are you doing this summer? A three month paid vacation is ridiculous. I am not surprised to see disagreement but Prime Minister Carney is a conservative and head of the liberal party and he is winning. So get in line and support all these projects as much as you can. Canada needs to grow to be that country that the Fathers of Confederation dreamed and created - they did all that hard work of keeping Canada together and growing it at the same time. They didn't do it by whining. Sure they disagreed but when the work needed to be done they were in there doing it.
No comments:
Post a Comment