Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Up to page 23 in the Charting Book for Siderfin

 Yesterday the main floor cleaning completed and just the basement left for today. I also managed another eight pages in the Siderfin Charting book which brings me about 1/6 of the way through this shorter book. Perhaps more done today. I am indexing and proofreading as I go along with doing the headings into the Table of Contents. 

I also worked on the powerpoint presentation for the Construction of Orleans United Church from my husband's images. Even if they do not want to use it then my daughters will have that memory in electronic form to look at whenever they want; it is their father's work after all and they were so very close to him. They still miss him a great deal but they are moving on as their lives are very busy but bringing  him along with them in their hearts. Mostly I have kept his work for them but thought about the 50th anniversary of that Church. Hard to believe really that is just a little over three years away since the beginning of that Church 50 years ago. Since I married at 20 and moved away such significant things were not part of my life. I have kept mostly to myself all of these years except for helping out with my children's activities and my husband's activities (he often volunteered me for items that he wanted to have present when he was involved with things) and working at home initially before I went back to work in the workplace. That was Edward's way and taking on volunteer secretary for him at his United Church was doing God's work as I do not think the denomination matters really it is all service to God (although I am back to my Anglican Church once again and happier I would say; one is always happier in familiar surroundings) and demonstrating different items like scanning initially of images at his Gene-O-Rama conferences that he chaired. Funny really; I did have a life of my own but it was a quiet one at home smocking dresses for my daughters and cleaning the house and just meandering through life. Until I didn't but I did work at  home for about 1.5 decades actually but I do not really think people realized that I worked. I just didn't answer the door if it wasn't the times of the day when I had my Block Parent sign in the window or when I knew the mailman was coming or that sort of thing like the items that I needed to deal with as volunteer secretary for Edward's Church. I just worked whether it was house work or proofreading and copyediting. Then I went out to work and I really enjoyed that first at the Medical School working for a wonderful person (Dr. Sattar) in microbiology and immunology and then for the Chair (Joanne (her surname escapes me) working on PAHO activities for her. I did contemplate once again doing my masters but instead I worked for Dr. Nimrod in Perinatology, an absolutely superb person and boss. He did some really great work and I was lucky to be there to be part of that accumulating of data for presentations and publications. And I could go on and on as I worked for nearly twelve years at the medical school/ottawa hospital and I have my tiny pension to show for that!

Then my cousin wanted his profile for my Pincombe family in 2003 for his history book on Westminster/Delaware Townships and finally after watching Edward do genealogy for as long as I knew him really (he was always interested in his Kipp family) I was into surname studies and here I still am. Writing books and newsletters on the various families that I work on. 

Prayers for the people of Florida as they await Hurricane Milton - prayers continuing for the people in south eastern United States still recovering from Hurricane Helene. We must do more to combat climate change. In my lifetime storms have become much more frequent and much worse. 

Solitaire games all played. Breakfast is next. Then start the Robot for the basement rugs and Latin to do.

No comments: