Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Reflecting on Edward

 When I met Edward one of the first items that he mentioned to me was his quest to learn more about his father. Edward's father was Lorne Bernice Kipp and he was the son of William Henry Kipp who was the son of Benjamin Kipp who was the son of Isaac Kipp. Edward knew all of that from his uncle Howard Leslie Kipp. He also knew that his father had been treasurer at Princeton United Church and had sung in the Choir if I remember all of that correctly. Lorne was a farmer and his farm was just across Highway 2 facing the Village of Princeton, Ontario. So Edward had some ambitions in life including going to university and studying Chemistry and going all the way to do his PhD, he wanted to have a family and he wanted to be treasurer at the United Church and to sing in the Choir. He achieved all of those desires in his life and was quite content. The genealogy took him down paths that were appealing to me - we did a lot of traveling in the United States searching for his Kipp particularly ancestral line and our first trip was to Northeast Town in Dutchess County. We knew that Isaac and his wife Hannah (Mead) Kipp had come to Canada in October 1800 as settlers looking for land and over time he discovered a connection with Thomas Hornor that he hoped might give him more insight into the Kip family of New York/New Jersey. After yDNA testing he knew that his Kipp line was descendant of Hendrick Hendricksen Kip of New Amsterdam. The exact name of those ancestors eluded him but he collected as much information as he could with the thought that others would utilize it and find that name connection. It was a difficult time 1 Nov 1764 when Isaac was born/baptized. The Family Bible did not specify whether this was baptism or birth although was on the birth page. 

Jobs were difficult to come by when he finished his PhD in 1970 and he went on to do a PostDoc in Chemical Engineering but still jobs had been quickly taken up by American draft dodgers coming to Canadian Universities in particular so the new graduates had to settle for teaching High School or industry if they could find it or do another degree which Edward did; he finished his Masters in Library Science in 1975 and that did get him a job at the National Research Council in Ottawa. He was thrilled when his eldest did her PhD in Library and Information Science and from his Alma Mater. He was equally thrilled when his youngest did her Masters in Biology and then an MD. 

He had planned so many trips still to do but COVID came into our lives and changed so much around him. 

But we sat thinking about our 54 years of marriage and it was the anniversary of that which is just two days away that got us thinking. He was happy that all the things that he had talked about all those years ago had come to fruition. He had walked in his father's steps with his love of gardening, with his love of the United Church and following again his father's time as treasurer and in the choir, and his own ambition to do his PhD in Chemistry and be a scientist. A little earlier in the summer our eldest had brought him a List of Citations of his work that she had collected and it was a long list actually with a number in the period after he wrote his Thesis (his work was initial work in the field) and then a huge interest again in the early 1980s extending up into the 2000s. He was thrilled with the collection of citations. Edward was only two years old when his father died in a farming accident. His father had epilepsy and had been home schooled and then managed the farm for the family. He had a fall in the barn that was fatal as his head hit cement I understand from what Edward said. 

As our Anniversary comes once again I will make two donations I think with one to the Branch Library of the Ottawa Branch of Ontario Ancestors as usual (a group that he joined in the early 1980s when he went with Gordon Riddle, his cousin, to the first meeting he ever attended (I was not interested in going when we lived in the London area and that interest didn't come at this time in the Ottawa area either (it would take a while for me to take up the mantle of genealogy like 2003)). He loved the group and spent the next close to fourty years as part of it in so many ways (and he volunteered me for items he wanted done (I always think he was trying to keep me at home as the psychiatrist had told him I needed a lot of rest and quiet)). However all that volunteering involved my going out or people calling me on the telephone or having to call people on the telephone (his United Church, the OGS, Treasurer at Camp Bitobi and so many items except World Day of Prayer which I volunteered to do)! And I did go back to work as soon as I could actually although at home for over fifteen years for the bulk of that work and then back into the working world.  

The other donation I am contemplating picking up once again was his donation to his Alma Mater (and mine actually Western University was the University of Western Ontario). I shall investigate that as I would want to do that in his memory. 

I have continued most of the donations that he was doing along with the ones that I was doing. All societies need donations to organizations in order to provide that activity or need to continue being met as they are a social need for many many people. When money concentrates in one small group then life does not flow as equally or well as God meant it to.  

No comments: