Wednesday, September 2, 2026

The Book of Tobit

 The Book of Tobit and I do not remember this story. It is a story of God's love and protection; a beautiful story and I will complete the reading tomorrow. I am finding that it is good to read all of these stories passed down through the ages. 

The genealogical accounts seem to fit into my life these days as I continue my genealogical trace down of the Blake family of Andover. My grandfather knew all of his ancestral line but I only retained the newest part from Joseph down to the present. Joseph was baptized in 21 Oct 1730 at St Mary Andover the son of Thomas Blake and Ann (Carter) Blake who had married 8 Dec 1728 at Holy Trinity Church Penton Mewsey. Thomas was baptized 4 May 1709 at St Mary Andover the son of Thomas Blake and Mary (Spring) Blake and they had married 6 Nov 1708 at St Mary Andover. Thomas Blake was baptized 21 Feb 1685 at St Mary Andover the son of John Blake and Elizabeth (unknown) Blake and their marriage details are unknown. Eleven children were baptized to this couple at St Mary Andover (and five of these were buried there as infants or young children). The baptism for John Blake was written into the Parish Register at St Mary Andover 10 May 1649 likely by his father William Blake (married to Ann Hellier 5 Sep 1644 at St Mary Andover). There were three entries made by likely the same individual William during the time when only civilian records of birth were supposed to be maintained when Cromwell was in power. The Blake line continues back to the beginning of the Parish Registers at St Mary Andover in 1588 for the Baptisms. The will of William Blake in 1582 lists all of his children as does the will of Richard Blake his son thus giving a list of the children of these two Blake lines at Eastontown and Andover. 

Yesterday the top floor all cleaned as well as the vacuuming of the basement since the dog hair is everywhere and now nowhere hopefully. Today it is the basement to clean and I will soon start the robot cleaning the rugs. 

I hope to get a little work done on my research today and will see how that goes. Still avoiding the news somewhat. and it will likely stay that way as I inch further and further into my 80s. I did say when I was 70 and mapping out my likely time working away on my family genealogy that I would see myself slowly pulling away from genealogy as I hit my 80s but then I was also thinking of my husband and I spending more time walking and watching television and traveling still. But life did change that as did COVID and instead of spending time with my husband in my 80s as he was gradually pulling away from his intensive concentration on genealogy I will remain with that and try to get all of his work organized and off to cousins who are researching. It is a possibility that our older daughter will pick up the threads of the DNA work as it is quite fascinating where that is going and she has all the skill sets to do that sort of work along with everything else that she does. Her understanding and grasp of AI is amazing but she has been into it at the beginning. But for her it is more how it interacts with metadata and data science that is more her line of research. 

Next week I begin my one hour a day on the lawns throughout September and into October to get that all ready for winter. Never a dull moment for sure. 

Solitaire puzzles are next.  

No comments: