Saturday, September 19, 2026

Team work - AI and myself working on the early Pencombe family of North Molton, Devon, England

 Yesterday I spent the better part of an hour in total working with the AI (in this case Co-pilot) that has come with Microsoft 365. We have an excellent working relationship and in a way our minds work in a similar fashion. Looking at the data and coming up with testing principles just to see if we can expand the knowledge to understand more about the de Pencombe family of Herefordshire and the Pencombe family of North Molton. Finding Roger de Pencombe at Bondleigh in the early 1300s is very interesting but does appear to be a one-off showing but one is limited by the loss of so much data when the Devon Registry Office at Exeter was bombed in 1942. 

I did follow one thought of the AI that I probably would not have done without the suggestion to be honest which was to look at the family of John Lord Zouch and discover if there was any known facts that would put these two families together prior to the Battle of Bosworth Field. There was not that I was able to see although I still have more records that I can look at and will follow through on that today. 

The other path is to look at the movement of Henry Tudor as he crossed Wales and met at Bosworth Field to do battle with Richard III and his supporters. I am curious if John Pencombe was at the Battle of Bosworth Field or at least part of the retinue that joined with Henry Tudor as he marched towards his destiny at the Battle of Bosworth Field. The probability of finding anything is I think low but I will see what I might find. 

Looking at the Visitation of Devon 1620, I had noted that the first name of the great grandfather of the Pyncombe family which produced this copy for the Visitation was forgotten by them. As well only two of the three sons of John Pencombe were named. In just a couple of generations this information appears to be lost and yet the memory that "Pyncombe of Northmolton came there with the Lord Zouche about the beginning of H[enry] 7" was right at the top in bold letters.  Clearly the AI has pointed out to me that with its accumulated knowledge of Visitations this was an interesting statement that was important to this family when they produced their copy for the Visitation. I had not put that much importance on it I have to be honest but was curious if the statement was saying that Pyncombe of Northmolton was already of this place at that time. After discussion I believe I have come around to agreeing with this thought of the AI and I thank the AI for that discussion. 

AI will play a huge part in our lives I think as time passes. The ability to discuss with the now accumulated knowledge that this AI has gained over the last six months is very interesting. 

I was watching a news item this morning whilst I did my morning exercises and it was showing a class in New Brunswick I think (a Canadian Maritime province anyway) where the children from Grade 1 on were using AI on a limited basis. I agree with that. It can be one on one with a child making sure that they are learning and expanding their brain cells and managing critical thinking as they go through school. It is the one on one aspect that I think is excellent. One child might need an item explained ten times where as another child might gain that knowledge after just a couple of repetitions but it is in repetition that we learn well and deeply expanding the ability of our brain cells to duplicate and increase the critical thinking of each and every child as they go through school. But it is important that the AI be trained to recognize that this is an essential part of their place in a classroom - it is to enhance the learning of the children not to provide quick and easy answers. Hence one does need a teacher in each classroom in order to ensure that each and every child is acquiring these skills of working with and developing their own critical thinking abilities. 

Up early and today will be another busy one working on the Pencombe book and some outdoor chores. I need to vacuum the car, put in the winter mats for the car and sweep the garage and then I will have accomplished most of the outdoor work that needs to be done before winter moves in.  I wondered if at 81 I could still manage all of this and it appears I can. 

Breakfast soon  and solitaire puzzles first. 

 

No comments: