Saturday, September 5, 2026

Tweaking the will of Robert Blake (16 Dec 1521)

 I  used Co-Pilot to review my transcription of the latin will of Robert Blake written 16 Dec 1521. One interesting change and I can see it now near the end of the will where Robert gives all of his goods moveable and immoveable to Robert Blake. I suspected this was his grandson (son of Richard) and when he writes the last part Robert clearly states 

 "Likewise I give and bequeath to Robert Blayke one cow and the residue of all my goods of my movable goods as well as my immovable property.  Likewise, I give and bequeath to my son Richard whom I appoint as my true executors so that he himself may dispose of for the salvation of my soul " 

Richard dies very soon after his father so Robert is protecting the inheritance by passing it primarily to his grandson but includes Robert's father Richard in that statement. Finally proof that Richard is likely the father of Robert Blake (it appears so but at no point does Robert in this will say that Robert is his grandson). Robert also identifies his younger son as Thomas. That certainly helps to clarify this generation at Andover. 

While I am producing the genealogical chart coming down from Robert (will dated 16 Dec 1521) I will also be checking other earlier records for Blake at Enham to see if I can link the John Blake of the early 1300s in this area with this Robert Blake.  It continues to be interesting that in the Emigrant Database 1330-1550 there is a Richard Blake arriving at Salisbury, Wiltshire 10 Jul 1440, if the same individual also 10 Aug 1441 at St Leonard, Gloucestershire and again in 7 Sep 1441 at Salisbury, Wiltshire and the database states that he (if all three are the same individual) is Irish. In 1521 Robert Blake leaving his will 16 Dec 1521 is elderly and he does name his eldest son Richard who has a son Robert probably over the age of 21 but this would still be a guess although Charlou Dolan's work on Robert's family line would tend to support this premise as well. Perhaps even more interesting in the light of modern research the yDNA of my Blake line had its first match in the Blake study with a tester living in Dublin, Ireland. Mind you many of the Blake lines in Ireland were from England including the Galway Blake family descendant of Richard Caddell from Wales who took on the surname Blake (this line well represented in the yDNA Blake study has a good group of matches all with ancestry back to Galway). 

This is an exciting time in genealogical research and having yDNA at our fingertips is such a gift and certainly I would not be so into it without that extra tool. Thank you to Bill Bleak for creating the yDNA Blake Study at FT DNA quite early with my inserting my brother into the study around 2008. 

Today I continue with my planned work including the genealogical table as well as working on the photo books to create a set of six to eight binders with family pictures. I am beginning with the pictures of Edward as a child as there are quite a few (mine tend to be electronic as I do not wish to keep originals and so my younger sister maintains that original set of documents where it is likely they will be available to family members since I do not live in the same area). I have a couple of me as a child that I will add to the appropriate binder. I am also collecting the pictures of Edward's nieces to send to them since he took pictures of them throughout much of our marriage and before that. 

Thinking on my non-categorized nervous disorder which I mentioned earlier and I could have added that initially it was thought to be multiple sclerosis. But I never completed all the testing and I suspect given my now age of 81 I did not have multiple sclerosis given my current level of health. The psychiatrist felt that my severe migraines (also considered to be a nervous disorder) had just worn me down at the time as I was doing a great deal having just given birth a few months earlier. So his conclusion that what I had to do was to rest when I was tired especially when I had a migraine and not push myself beyond the limits any more since I had had the breakdown. Interesting really. I have followed his advice all of these years.  Thank you very much to him although I know he is no longer working since he was older than I was at that time. The term nervous disorder is a catch-all I think until it is categorized but does include migraine headaches. I do not actually know if migraines are familial or just spontaneous in an individual. I have had mine as long as I can remember although they have certainly decreased remarkably since I had the cataract surgery - so an interesting happening for sure that may or may not have anything to do with the surgery. I really do not know. Basically my contact with the medical world for that surgery was practically nil. I went for the appointment to set up the surgery. I went for two surgeries and my conversations with the specialist were very short so I have no idea on that. There was no followup six weeks later after the surgery (it wasn't mentioned and getting places is not easy for me so I didn't push for anything like that since I was using a private clinic (I had my daughter to help me but I needed specific times and so it was on me to solve that problem for myself) although the operations were done in the local hospital). I simply went back to an optometrist and had a pair of glasses made to suit the time. Then a year later I had a pair made for reading only as I rather liked not wearing glasses anymore except for up close work. One never knows the future of course but I am enjoying not wearing glasses except for bugs flying into your eyes which I never experienced until after cataract surgery - it is a rare occasion though in actual fact and not enough for me to give up the freedom of no glasses having worn them since I was one year of age!

It continues to amaze me to see the detail in the world that I missed all of those years; no regrets for sure but amazing in one's old age to have all these distractions particularly paintings which have so much detail - it does provide a great deal of amusement one might say in my old age.  

Breakfast time. I am early writing my blog but the thoughts were in my brain and so I spilled them out onto my blog and now time to eat.  

 

 

No comments: