Thursday, September 24, 2026

Research portion of the week begins today

 Yesterday I completed the cleaning of the basement so all ready today to do some research. I bought the 1332 Devon Lay Subsidy and created a file for North Molton and comparing that to the 1524-7 Devon Lay Subsidy a number of the families are the same but there are no Pencombe/Pincombe families there. Mind you this is 200 years earlier but when I discovered there was a Lay Subsidy in this time frame and there was a Roger de Pencombe at Boneleigh/Bondleigh in the early 1300s I thought I should just have a look around but there is one John de Pencomb' in the Index at the Hundred of Mollond (Molland is the current name and it is in South Molton) as an assessor. He is incorrectly listed as Page 73 in the Index but actually it is Page 74 (that was sort of relief considering the index I produced for the Siderfin Book (at least the name is there!)). But he is not listed in the return for the hundred of Mollond. I shall have to investigate the Assessor and their appointments perhaps. Will contemplate that for a bit. 

This bring me back to my discussion with the AI last week where I was contemplating that John Pencombe already lived in Devon and that the line that was so interesting namely "Pyncombe of Northmolton came there with the Lord Zouche about the beginning of H. 7." I suddenly thought of the interpretation that he was actually of Northmolton, Devon but the AI felt it was more of a suggestion that John Pencombe had just arrived with John Lord Zouch. This is a surprise for sure and it grew out of the Roger de Pencombe references in the Devon Archives in the early 1300s at Bondleigh/Boneleigh. I feel somewhat at a crossroads with this and I think I will have another chat with the AI today just to review what I have found in the record sets that I have and this new one that I just purchased. Life can be surprising. The index was only out by one page so probably shouldn't put too much into that given my error. It does make me think I should just wander around this area looking at all the results and the same with the 1524-7 Devon Lay Subsidy. I also have the 1543-45 Devon Lay Subsidy. 

Still reading 2 Maccabees and it is interesting that one senses the teachings of Jesus but I have not really seen any verses that talk of a Messiah to come. God is always in the mind of the Jewish people that love Him. Perhaps by the end of this book of Maccabees I will have more understanding of these two books. The next book is Job the content of which I am very familiar. 

Today I shall sweep the garage and probably put the car in now so that I do not have to clear the leaves off every time I need to use it. 

Almost finished the third book of family pictures and have gone through perhaps six binders now so the project seems doable as the number of non family pictures will increase exponentially as I move forward. Edward did a lot of traveling for work going to Conferences and all of those pictures will be put through the shredder. He also started doing trips with George Anderson down into New York State with retirees which is also a lot of pictures that will go through the shredder. I did offer to put together some of the trips but the library did not want to have those books which was fine. At some point I starting going with him, I think sometime in the early 2000s as he asked if I would. After our oldest daughter went off to do her PhD though I didn't like to go too often as I wanted to be home with my younger daughter but she too was very busy I must admit. Perhaps I just didn't want to travel with a whole lot of people; no idea on that. Certainly it was interesting visiting the many sites in the northern United States and at that time our dollar was very low to the American dollar so quite expensive actually but amazingly many people went. 

Solitaire puzzles are next.

Groceries purchased and I would say that I am paying 50% more for the same groceries as a year ago. But we must continue moving forward with diversification of our trade and growing our industries. The stronger we become the even better neighbour we will be for sure to our good friends and neighbours the United States of America.   

No comments: